To apply for any of our current job openings:
- Send a copy of your resume in .pdf or .doc to email@example.com
- Use a separate email for each position that you are applying for.
- IMPORTANT - Put the title of the position that you are applying for in the subject line. Failure to do so may result in your resume being noted as spam or not being directed to the correct department.
Natural Resource Specialist II TO3264 ESA section 7 Consultation Assistance
Ocean Associates, Inc. is seeking a Natural Resource Specialist II to support the NOAA National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS) Southwest Region Habitat Conservation Division in Santa Rosa, California. OAI conducts research, offers policy advice, and provides personnel support services to government and industry clients for marine fisheries and protected species. We are under contract to provide support services to the NMFS Santa Rosa Office. A start time ASAP for this position is desired.
The incumbent will be responsible for conducting essential fish habitat (EFH) consultations for projects involving activities that may impact marine and estuarine essential fish habitats.
Duties and responsibilities are varied and may include:
- Review and evaluate proposed projects and applications submitted to NMFS pursuant to section 7 of the Endangered Species Act (ESA).
- Evaluate and analyze effects of proposed actions, conservation measures, and mitigation activities on ESA-listed salmon, steelhead and green sturgeon and their habitat.
- Develop recommendations on ways to minimize adverse effects to ESA-listed fish and their habitat associated with proposed activities.
- Develop written environmental and procedural documents including; draft section 7 consultation letters and biological opinions, draft Federal Register Notices, draft incidental take permits, draft transmittal memos, draft National Environmental Policy Act documents, and draft other written documents as needed.
- Compile the records necessary to support the projects worked on.
- Participate in meetings or site visits concerning projects assigned.
Required minimum education, knowledge and experience
- BS degree in fisheries, biological sciences or natural resource management and 3 years of experience, or a MS degree and one year of experience.
- Knowledge of anadromous fish life history, biology, and habitat requirements.
- Knowledge of anadromous marine and estuarine habitats.
- Efficiency in using word-processing programs to develop written documents.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
The salary is $22.17/hr. The contract is for full-time work 40hrs/week for approximately 14 months. Excellent employee benefits are provided including paid medical insurance, and holiday, vacation and sick leave, and more. The work location will be at the NOAA National Marine Fisheries Service Protected Resources Division, 777 Sonoma Ave., Room 325, Santa Rosa, CA 95404.
Only qualified applicants that meet minimum experience or background requirements stated above need apply. Please submit resume that must include the following:
- Work history for the past 10 years or since last full-time education.
- Previous experience in a same or similar position with the same or similar requirements.
- Professional references.
This page last updated September 14, 2012