To apply for any of our current job openings:
- Send a copy of your resume in .pdf or .doc to email@example.com
- Use a separate email for each position that you are applying for.
- IMPORTANT - Put the title of the position that you are applying for in the subject line. Failure to do so may result in your resume being noted as spam or not being directed to the correct department.
SCIENTIST: ESA/MMPA Scientific Research/Permit/Authorization Assistance
Ocean Associates, Inc. (OAI) is seeking two scientists to support the NOAA National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS) Office of Protected Resources Permits and Conservation Division in Silver Spring, MD. OAI conducts research, offers policy advice, and provides personnel support services to government and industry clients for marine fisheries and protected species. We are under contract to provide support services to the NMFS Office of Protected Resources. A start time ASAP for these positions is desired.
These positions will be responsible for performing analyses and research to enable the issuance of scientific research permits and authorizations under the Endangered Species Act (ESA) and Marine Mammal Protection Act (MMPA) and for performing analyses under the National Environmental Protection Act (NEPA).
Duties and Responsibilities are varied and may include:
- Review ESA/MMPA permit applications
- Prepare correspondence with applicants
- Prepare Federal Register notices
- Prepare correspondence with external reviewers
- Draft, review, edit, and finalize permits and authorizations and accompanying documents
- Review annual reports provided by holders of permits and authorizations
- Conduct all activities necessary to collect and analyze NEPA compliance data, including but not limited to management review of NEPA documents, categorical exclusion memos, environmental assessments, and environmental impact statements
- Coordinate and service government and contract organizations on drafting, reviewing, editing, and finalizing NEPA documents produced under contracts awarded by OPR
Required minimum education, knowledge, and experience:
- BS degree in Marine Science, Biology, Zoology or Ecology, and two years’ experience
- Training/experience in drafting, reviewing, editing, compilation of materials into a final document
- Training/experience in finalizing NEPA documents, technical reports, permits, and authorizations
- Experience in working with federal natural resource regulations and assessing effects of research and other federal activities on different species
- Excellent oral/written communication skills with ability to communicate in professional scientific language and to compile and assimilate data into clear, written documents
- Ability to create slides for, and to give oral presentations
Salary: $22.40 per hour. The contract is for full-time work, 40hrs/week, for approximately 12 months. Excellent employee benefits are provided including paid medical insurance, and holiday, vacation and sick leave, and more.
Location: The work location will be at the NMFS Office of Protected Resources, 1315 East West Highway, Silver Spring, MD 20910
Only qualified applicants that meet minimum experience or background requirements stated above need apply. Please submit resume that must include the following:
- Work history for the past 10 years or since last full-time education
- Previous experience in a same or similar position with the same or similar requirements
- Professional references
To apply for our current job openings:
Send a copy of your resume in .pdf or .doc to firstname.lastname@example.org
Use a separate email for each position that you are applying for.
IMPORTANT - Put the title of the position that you are applying for in the subject line. Failure to do so may result in your resume being noted as spam or not being directed to the correct department.
This page last updated October 25, 2012